Steps to apply for Bhutan Tourist Visa
1. Book a Bhutan tour package with a licensed travel agency
2. Purchase and confirm your air-tickets on DrukAir
3. Ensure that you have a passport with at least six months validity at the point of arrival in Bhutan
4. Provide the information required as listed below:
• Full name as per passport
• Mailing address
• Contact No. (mobile preferred)
• Submit a scanned copy of your passport as shown in the sample
• Submit a scanned copy of student ID for student discounts as shown in the sample
Visa will only be processed upon payment of the tour package cost to the Tourism Council of Bhutan.
* Department of Immigration would like to inform all travelers that w.e.f. 26th September 2011, the department will only accept valid passport copies (clear scan of passport page with datasheet and picture) of travelers and no passport size photographs will be entertained.
Question: I’ve paid for my tour package. How long does it take to process my visa to Bhutan?
Answer: You should expect to get your visa only between 3 to 10 days prior to your departure.
Remember to print out a copy of your visa to present it at the Druk Air check-in counter and also at the immigration point.
Question: Do I need to send my passport for the Bhutan visa application?
Answer: No, only a clear color scan of the detail page of your passport (as shown in the sample above) is required. The
Bhutan travel visa application is a digital submission process, thus there is no need to retain your passport but only a digital scan of your passport.
Question: I have just renewed my passport and my visa is issued on my old passport. What should I do?
Answer: If you have more than two weeks to your date of departure, it is advisable that you contact Druk Asia or your travel agent to have your details updated with the Department of Immigration of Bhutan. Should your departure date be too close, you should bring along your old passport for verification at the immigration checkpoint, should it be necessary.
During your check-in at the airport counter, Druk Air will also require you to sign an indemnity form to release the airline from any further liability.
Question: How would my Bhutan visa look like?
Answer: Your visa application will be a digital submission hence it will come as an electronic document. You will need to print out the document and carry it with you. Visa verification is required when you check in for your Druk Air flight and at the immigration checkpoint at Paro International Airport.
Question: Am I allowed to bring cigarettes and alcohol into Bhutan?
Answer: Yes, all foreigners are allowed to bring with them one litre of alcoholic spirit and up to 200 sticks of cigarettes OR 30 pieces of cigars.
* Do note that all cigarettes will be subjected to 100 percent customs duty and 100 percent sales tax (Nominally 1,600Nu per carton).
Travelers should declare their dutiable items at custom and pay the admissible taxes.
Tourist Duty Free Allowance into Bhutan
a. Spirits: 1 bottle no more than one litre
b. Cigarettes: 1 carton (containing 200 pieces) subjected to 100 percent customs duty and 100 percent sales tax (nominally at 1,600 Nu per carton)
View Druk Asia’s Bhutan Travel Plans »